Nursery - Spring 1
Our Topic: Traditional Tales.
AM: Hedgehogs & Badgers PM: Squirrels & Foxes
Early Years Writing
Key Text for Spring 1
Meet the teacher
Walk to School
NEPS Learning Values: Engaged, Nurtured & Creative
Characteristics of Learning: Active Learning
Manners Matter & Respect for All We will build upon last term’s focus on using ‘please’ & ‘thank you’. We will learn ways of showing respect to each other.
Dates for your diary
- Friday 2nd February: PTA Quiz Night
- Monday 5th – Friday 9th February: Arts Week
- Friday 9th February: Last day before half term.
- Monday 12th – Friday 16th: Half term holiday SCHOOL CLOSED
- Monday 19th February: First day back
- Tuesday 20th February 3.30-5.30: Parents evening for N2s
- Wednesday 21st February 3.30-7: Parents evening for N2s
- Thursday 1st March: World Book Day Character Dress Up
- Monday 12th – Friday 16th March: Science Week
- Wednesday 28th March: Last day for Nursery children only.
- Thursday 29th March: NURSERY CLOSED. Last day for Reception – Yr 6
Nursery - Friday - Home Learning Letters
Key question: Can I recount any traditional story?
- I can join in with repeated refrains and can retell key events in the story.
Key question: Can I give meaning to the marks I make?
- We will start to encourage the children to record the ini al le er sounds they know.
- I can continue to give meaning to marks that I make when I draw.
Numbers/Shape, Space & Measure
Key question: Do I know that a number represents the amount in a set?
- I can count up to 10, then 20.
- I can begin to match numeral to amount (up to 10).
- I can represent numbers using fingers, marks on paper or pictures.
- I can show interest in shapes in the environment.
- I can start to talk about the shapes of everyday objects e.g. Round and tall
Communication and Language
Key question: Can I retell a familiar story in my own words?
- I can remember key parts of the story with increasing recall.
- I can understand ‘who’ ‘what’ and ’where’ in different ques ons using the ques on bears to support this.
- I can use talk to connect ideas e.g. Explain what is happening, anticipate what is happening next, recall past experiences.
Speaking & Listening: I can use ‘and’ and ‘because’ to link my thoughts.
BIG TALK TOPICS: (THURSDAYS)
- 4th Jan – Show and tell
- 11th Jan – What is my favourite fairytale or traditional story.?
- 18th Jan – What is my favourite fairytale or traditional story.?
- 25th Jan – Which character would you like to be? (who?)
- 1st Feb – Where would you live?
- 8th Feb – What vehicle would you drive?
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
Key question: How can I include other children in my play?
- I can express my own preferences and interests.
- I am confident to talk to other children while I am playing.
- I am more outgoing to unfamiliar people in social situations.
- I can begin to accept the needs of others, taking turns and sharing resources.
- I can keep play going by responding to what others are saying or doing.
- UNICEF – Article 15: You have the right to choose your own friends.
Understanding the world
Key question: Do I know how to operate simple equipment?
- I know how to operate simple equipment. E.g. Beebots, torch, remote control toys.
- I can recognise and describe special times or events in my experiences. Please record in WOW books also.
- I can talk about some of the things I have observed.
Key question: Can I use tools safely?
- Can I put on my own coat?
- I can use one-handed tools and equipment e.g. Making snips in paper with child scissors.
- I can dress myself with help
- I can copy some letters from my name.
- I can understand that toys and tools need to be used safely.
- We will start walking and running the Daily mile, three times a week.
- I can copy movements and follow instruc ons during our Sticky Kids program.
Expressive arts and design
Key question: Can I make believe by pretending using my previous experiences?
- I can build stories around toys e.g. farm animals needing rescuing.
- We will be integrating the singing of songs as part of our story telling.
- I can use resources to create props for role play e.g. Making a bridge using junk modelling.
- I can sing simple songs.
- I can create movements in response to music.