Nursery - Spring 2
Our Topics: Traditional Tales & Nursery Rhymes
AM: Hedgehogs & Badgers PM: Squirrels & Foxes
Key Text for Spring 2
Early Years Writing
Walk to School
Meet The Teacher
NEPS Learning Values: Engaged, Nurtured, Creative & Harmonious
Characteristics of Learning: Active Learning
Respect for All (Kindness) & Celebration of oneself. We will build upon last term’s focus of showing respect to each other. We will be thinking about what makes each of us special.
Dates for Diary:
Monday 12th March – Friday 16th March: Science Week
Thursday 16st March: World Book Day Character Dress Up
Wednesday 28th March: Last day for Nursery children only.
Thursday 29th March: NURSERY CLOSED. Last day for Reception – Yr 6
Nursery - Friday - Home Learning Letters - Spring 2
- Can I hear the sound at the beginning of words?
- We will listening to stories without pictures to try and enhance our listening skills.
- I can recognise when words start with the same sound e.g. Fee Fi Fo Fum
- I can look at books independently and handle books carefully.
- I can describe the se ngs in the stories that we read.
- I can recall the main events in the story.
- I can name and begin to describe the main characters in the story.
- We will be listening to a poem of the week.
- This will support our understanding of rhyme.
- Can I give meaning to marks that I see in the environment?
- I can recognise signs and logos e.g Tesco/Toilets sign.
- Can I count my ac ons as well as objects?
- I can count up to 10, then 20.
- I can begin to match numeral to amount (up to 10).
- I can represent numbers using fingers, marks on paper or pictures.
- Can I use positional language?
- We will be using beebots, our outside area and stories to support this.
Communication and Language
- Can I anticipate what might happen next?
- I can retell a simple past event.
- I can listen and recall parts of the story.
- I can use talk to connect ideas.
- I can join in with repeated refrains.
- I can begin to understand how and why questions using the question bears to support this.
Speaking & Listening:
- I can retell a simple past event. I can ask and answer questions.
BIG TALK TOPICS: (THURSDAYS)
- 22nd Feb – Where would you live?
- 1st March – Which character would you like to be? (who?)
- 8th March – What would be your favourite meal?
- 15th March – What vehicle would you drive?
- 22nd March – TBC
- 29th Match – WOW
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- How can I be a good friend?
- How do I feel about..?
- I can welcome and value praise for what I have done.
- I can begin to accept the needs of others, taking turns and sharing resources.
- I am aware of my own feelings.
- I know that some words and ac ons can hurt others – I make careful choices.
- I can demonstrate friendly behaviour.
- UNICEF – Article 14: I have the right to think and believe what I want.
Understanding the world
- What makes me unique?
- I can talk about things that make me the same and different to my friends.
- I can show care and concern for the environment. I can talk about special events e.g. Saints Patrick’s day and St David’s, Baba Marta.
- I can talk about about changes in the environment now that it is spring.
- UNICEF – Article 12:
- I have the right to have a say in ma ers that a ect me and be taking seriously.
- UNICEF – Article 14:
- I have the right to think and believe what I want and prac se my religion.
- Can I copy some letters from my name?
- I can catch a large ball.
- I can kick a large ball.
- I can stand for a moment on one foot.
- I can use three fingers to hold my pencil
- I can pick up small objects with my fingers – using a pincer grip.
- The children will be offered more dress up activities. This is to support their independence with dressing. (Please also work on this at home.)
- We will start walking and running the Daily mile, three times a week.
I can copy movements and follow instruc ons during our Sticky Kids program and using GoNoodle.
Expressive arts and design
- Can I build stories around toys e.g. farm animals needing rescuing?
- I can make believe by pretending using my previous experiences
- We will be integra ng the singing of songs as part of our story telling.
- I can use resources to create props for role play e.g. Making a bridge using junk modelling.
- I can create movements in response to music.