Nursery - Summer 1Habitats: Growth & Change Animals & Creatures
AM: Hedgehogs & Badgers PM: Squirrels & Foxes
Key Text Summer 1
Early Years Writing
Walk to School
Meet the teacher
NEPS Learning Values: Engaged, Nurtured, Creative, Respectful & Responsible & Harmonious
Characteristics of Learning: Creating & Thinking Critically (Thinking)
S.M.S.C: Including all and being welcoming. Using the Rainbow Fish, Elmer, Giraffes, Can't Dance and more! Assembly: We will be thinking about Spring and new beginnings.
Friday Home Learning Letters - Summer 1
- Can I hear the sound at the beginning and end of words?
- We will listening to stories without pictures to try and enhance our listening skills.
- I can recognise when words start with the same sound .
Can I hear the sounds and blend them together?
- We will be working on oral blending.
- This is when an adult says the sounds e.g. ‘S-i-t’ and we encourage the children to suggest what the word is. ‘sit’ – E.g. H-o-p, c-a-t, j-u-m-p, d-o-g, p-a-t
- I can describe the settings in the stories that we read. I can recall the main events in the story.
- I can name and begin to describe the main characters in the story.
- Can I give meaning to marks that I see in the environment?
- I can recognise signs and logos e.g Tesco/Toilets sign.
Key question: Can I match numeral and quantity accurately?
- I can separates a group of three or four objects in different ways, beginning to recognise that the total is still the same.
- We will use the Numicon resources to support this.
Key question: Can I recognise shapes in the environment?
- Now that the children know many 2D and a few 3D shapes we will be searching for shapes that we know in the environment.
Communication and Language
Key question: I can ask and answer questions?
- I can ask and answer who, what and when questions. E.g. Who was your favourite character? What happened to the caterpillar?
- I can question why things happen and give explanations.
- I am beginning to understand how and why questions. E.g. How can we stay healthy? Why does my heart beat faster when I exercise?
Speaking & Listening:
- I can retell a simple past event. I can ask and answer questions.
- 19th April – Show and Tell – special object
- 26th April – 24th May: What job do I want to do when I am a grown up?
- Bring in a picture or object related to what you want to be when you are a grown up.
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
Key question: Can I talk to other children while I am playing? Can I talk about my home and family?
- Children will be encouraged to share their WOW books and talk about their family and experiences at home.
- During the first week of the half term children will share a special object. Linking to Communication and Language – we will ask the children ‘Why is this item special to you’
- UNICEF – Article 24:
- You have the right to the best health care possible, safe water to drink, nutritious food, a clean and safe environment, and information to help you stay well.
Understanding the world
Key question: What job do I want to do when I am a grown up?
- Children will be talking about occupations that they are interested in or jobs they would like to do when they are a grown up.
- We are hoping to invite parents in to talk about their own occupations!!
- I can talk about some of the things they have observed such as plants, animals, natural and found objects in our outside area and around our school site.
- I can show care and concern for the environment.
Key question: Can I talk about what hap- pens to my body when I exercise?
- We will be working on our ball skills during P.E and in our outside area.
- I can catch a large ball.
- I can kick a large ball.
- I can talk about healthy foods.
- I can talk about what happens to my body when I exercise e..g. My heart beats fast, I get hot, I get sweaty.
- We will start walking and running the Daily mile, three times a week.
- I can copy movements and follow instructions during our Sticky Kids program and using Go-Noodle.
Expressive arts and design
Key question: What resources can I use to make props for my play?
- I can use resources to create props for role play e.g. Making a telescope using mobilo if they are playing pirates or using junk modelling to make a robot etc.
- We will continue to encourage the children to build their own stories around toys and also use the toys provided to retell stories that we share in class.