ReceptionSummer 2 - More Traditional Tales
Key Text Summer 2
Early Years Writing
Meet The Teacher
Learning Values: Creative, Independent, Being determined to do my best
Characteristics of Learning: Active Learning (Motivation). Being Involved & Concentrating, Keeping on Trying and enjoy achieving what I set out to do
Unicef Rights of Children All children have a right to find out things, and say what they think through speaking, writing, drawing etc. unless it breaks the rights of others. Article 13
Summer 2 Newsletters
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
Children will continue to learn social skills and be encouraged to reflect on their own feelings and those of others.
- Can I ask appropriate questions in my play?
- Can I resolve conflicts with my friends?
- Can i confidently talk to the whole class?
- We will be listening to others suggestions?
- We will be making up and changing stories/characters/endings to make up our own versions.
- Can I confidently share my ideas?
The children will be retelling the well known traditional tales The Little Red Hen, The Gingerbread Man and Billy Goats Gruff. Children will make up alternative characters or aspects of the story.
- Can I read green/phonically regular words?
- Can I read red/irregular high frequency words?
- Can I read simple sentences with increasing fluency?
- Can I remember words without sounding them out?
- Can I describe the main events in the story?
We will continue to use phonics to spell new words in order to write captions, letters, lists and sentences. Children will also be encouraged to use their phonic skills to write their own stories or to retell parts of the stories we share.
- Can I form letters correctly using the correct pencil grip?
- Can I use ‘Fred Fingers’ to help me sound out and spell new words?
- Can I write some red and green high frequency words? (the, and, was)
- Can I begin to write stories and read them back?
- Can I count forwards and backwards to and from 20?
- Can I count up to 20 objects?
- Can I recognise numbers to 20?
- Can I count in 2s, 5s, 10s?
- Can I solve mathematical problems ?
Shape, Space and Measure
- Children will be learning how to estimate, measure, weigh and compare amounts.
- Children will be able to talk about properties e.g. position first, last, behind, in front.
- Can I estimate length using non standard measures?
- Can I weigh objects to find the heaviest?
- Can I talk about and compare objects?
- Can I talk about my position when I line up?
Communication and Language
Listening and Attention
- We will be listening to some stories without pictures or prompts. The children will be asking questions about why things happened or to find out more information.
- Can I listen to stories, accurately anticipating key events and respond to what I hear with relevant comments, questions or actions?
Can I ask questions about the story?
- Children will express views about events in the story.
- Can I listen to other peoples’ opinions and respond appropriately?
- Can I ask and answer ‘how’ and ‘why’ questions in response to the story?
- Can I recount an experience and explain my reaction?
- Can I use imaginative vocabulary?
Understanding the world
People & Communities
- We will talk about other people’s beliefs, attitudes customs and traditions and to show respect for them. We will visits places of Faith and talk about the differences.
- Can I share my ideas about what I like and dislike?
- Can I be sensitive to others likes and dislikes and know that they might be different to my own?
- We are going to visit Barnes Wetland Centre. We will be comparing habitats and talking about how we influence growth of plants and animals.
- Can I make observations and notice differences and changes in the environment?
- Can I talk about how we should look after living things in our environment?
- Children can use a range of resources e.g. programmable robots, computers, CD players.
- Can I complete a simple computer programme to paint, draw and play games ?
Moving and Handling
- Children can confidently skip and hop. Children can kick, throw and control a ball.
- Children will continue to develop their fine motor skills.
- Children are beginning to be able to write on lines .
- Can I control my letter size?
- Can I consistently write on lines?
- Can I cut straight and curved lines?
Health and Self Care
- Children will be talking about healthy eating, following ‘I Know Why it’s Yum Mum!’ Show and Workshop.
- Children will increase their stamina for the Daily Mile run.
- Can I talk about healthy options including food, exercise and sleep?
- Can I jog 3 laps of the Daily Mile track without stopping?
- Can I be determined to do my best during Sports Day activities?
- We will to complete the daily mile and some children continue to change their shoes.
Expressive arts and design
Exploring & Using Media & Materials/Being Imaginative
- Can I act out the stories with a group of my friends?
- Can I take on a character role?
- Can I make a puppet character and make up a story?
- Can I use tools and combine materials to make props for my story acting?
- Can I talk about my own and others ideas?