Year 1 Spring 1
Spellings and Homework
Walk to School
Learning Values: Respect & Responsibility, Life Long Learning and Engagement. Confidence & Perseverance
S.M.S.C: To understand my own emotions and recognise my peers’ emotions.
Speaking and Listening
Develop ability to discuss views and opinions with peers.
To share ideas and work collabora vely across the curriculum.
Developing a love of reading, uency and comprehension through daily RWI phonics sessions, sharing whole class texts, weekly comprehension lessons, group guided reading and individual reading.
Set 2 Read Write Inc. Sounds: a, ee, igh, ow, oo, oo, ar, or, air, ir, ou, oy
Set 3 Read Write Inc. Sounds: a-e, ea, i-e,. o-e, u-e, aw, are, ur, er, ow, ai, oa, ew, ire, ear, ure.
To read my work aloud to my friends.
Stories with Repeating Patterns
Bringing the Rain to Kapi Plain
Don’t let the Pigeon Stay up Late
To re-read wri ng to check that it makes sense, and star ng to correct mistakes.
To write sentences that make sense and are linked together.
To begin to write stories showing a beginning, middle and end.
Learning how to use punctua on correctly, including capital le ers and full stops.
To use ‘and’ to link words and clauses.
Letter Formation and Handwriting
Form letters correctly by practising le er forma on and letter joins.
Can you reread your work to check that it makes sense?
Can you join in with a story with a repeating pattern?
Big Write topics:
– Retelling of Bringing the Rain to Kapi Plain
– Creating our own ‘Don’t let the Pigeon’ story
Multiplication and Division
— I can recognise and nd one half (or 1⁄2) of an object, shape, quan ty and length.
– I can understand that a half is one of two equal parts.
Shape and Space
– I can understand and use words rela ng to direc on and movement: le , right, up, down.
– I can understand and use a range of words rela ng to posi on: top, middle, bottom, above, below, between.
– I can describe movement, and recognise and make whole and half turns.
— I can recognise and understand the value of 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p and 50p coins.
– I can recognise and understand the value of £1 coins ad £5 notes.
– I can solve problems involving money.
– How many ways can you make 10p, 20p, 15p?
– Can you describe how to get to treasure on a map?
– How do you know if you have half?
– Can you half the amount shown?
Animals including humans – continued
– To understand the vocabulary ‘herbivore’ ‘carnivore’ and ‘omnivore’.
– To record informa on on Venn diagrams, pictograms and tally charts.
– To understand the five human senses.
– Which part of your body do you use to touch/smell/see/ taste/hear?
– What would the world be like if we had no senses?
– How do you know if an animal is a carnivore?
– Describing, observations, causes of different types of weather.
– Describing the climate in different countries.
– Exploring temperatures changes.
Where can we find extreme weather?
– I can recognise a sculpture.
– Use of natural and man-made materials.
– Plan ideas, modify and review work. Use text to shape and form.
– Investigate possibilities and explore.
– Sculptures by Andy Goldsworthy.
– How could you improve your art work?
We are treasure hunters
– Position and direction, programming toys to travel using basic coding skills.
– Links to maths – positional language.
– How do you know your directions are correct?
How do you know your directions are correct?
Fit for Sport
– Ball skills and team games
– Different ways of moving, balancing, speed, space, direction and coordination.
– All skills consolidated / reinforced in practical games and activities.
– Is it important to win games?
Special and holy books
– Children’s own special books
– Baby books, books for a specific purpose.
– Holy books from major world religions.
– Why are these books special to people?
Feel the Pulse
Pulse: fast and slow
Recognise the difference between pulse and rhythm
Can I perform with a sense of pulse?
– Families, relationships, caring, myself and my feelings, recognition and emotions.
– Responsibility for myself, my safety, corporate and community care.
– Who keeps you safe?
– Who do you ask if you need help?
I can use numbers from 1 – 10 confidently and recognise a variety of colours in Spanish.
We will also revise greetings this term.
We will not be studying history this half term.
We will not be studying DT this half term.