Year 3 - Autumn 1
Meet The Teacher
Learning Values: Collaborative learning, Independent, Engaged
S.M.S.C: Emotional: to ensure a smooth transition from Y2 to Y3. Values: Democracy and Tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
Can I recognise different genre in writing?
- Fairy tales – We will be re-telling fairy tales and focusing on stories with a familiar se ng. eg. Mrs Cole
- Who is Mrs Cole?
- Where does she live?
- What happens at Mrs Coles?
- Children will learn the key features of instructions. They will learn how to write their own instructions, focusing on the style.
- We will be looking at the features of non chronological reports and writing our own.
- We will focus on the rules of dialogue and start using more speech in the children’s writing.
- We will work on different sentence types, e.g Noun, who/which/where.
BIG TALK Topics
Big Write topics: The Perfect Day
- Description of where you go
- Description of who you are with
- A detailed description of what actually happens
- How the day ends
- Mrs Cole’s Kitchen
Can I recognise the properties of numbers to add and subtract?
- We will be looking at place value, (H,T,O)
- We will be practicing our Addition/subtraction, with the goal of moving on to column addition / subtraction throughout the year.
Can I recognise shapes and their properties?
- We will be investigating and learning about properties of shape.
Can I confidently use my knowledge of multiplication, division and fractions to solve problems?
- We will be focusing on our multiplication and division skills.
- We will be learning more about fractions, and how to find fractions of number and shape.
Can I explain the properties of mass?
- We will be learning what mass is and investigate.
Can I recognise characteristics shared by animals including humans?
- Children will learn about blood circulation through the heart.
- Understand the function of a skeleton: support, protect.
- This includes healthy eating, and the body (bones / skeletons / organs).
- Children will meet ‘Malcom’.
Introduction to the Stone Age
- We will be looking at culture / food / houses / way of life.
- How does this affect modern Britain?
- What influences from this era are still evident?
- Where can we find out about the past?
- What does the evidence show?
We will be portraying families and relationships through art
- Article 15 and 31
- How can I improve my technique?
- Which material would work best?
- How can I portray colour and texture between the subjects?
- We will be focusing on signs and symbols that appear in different religions – Article 2
- We are computer engineers’ programme, where children will learn more about the machine and how the internet works.
- What have you learnt to day that you didn’t know before?
- How could you keep safe on the internet?
- Why might parents/carers have a child safety lock on websites you monitor?
- We will be focusing on key skills and introduce these skills into games. Eg, throwing / catching / communication.
- We will also have the chance to work on some elements of dance.
- Can I use positive words when someone does well?
- Can I listen and support others?
Modern Foreign Languages - Spanish
- Greetings, introducing oneself to others and asking others what their name is.
- How are you?
- Introduction to feelings, responses, I am happy/sad/tired/grumpy etc.
- Introduction to numbers and Spanish phonics.
- Phonics – an introduction to phonics in Spanish.
- Develop ability ate/perform / analyse short, descriptive compositions that combine sounds, movements and words.
- Can I use descriptive music as a stimulus for creating movements and sounds?
- Can I respond to descriptive / narrative music developing a sequence of movement?
- We will be learning about targets and discussing our class / school rules.
- We will have a focus on friendship, especially as the children will have to work with different people than in Y2.
- Article 2 and 15
The sharing and defending of ideas and beliefs provides our pupils with an opportunity for establishing their individuality and consolidating their identity.
- We will not be studying D.T. for the first half of term.
- We will not be studying geography for the first half of term