Year 3 - Spring 1
Meet The Teacher
Learning Values: Engaged, Respectful And Responsible
S.M.S.C: Emotional: To work in a team. Helping each other make the right choices.
English & Big Write
Can I distinguish between and correctly spell further homophones and near-homophones?
– Identifying homophones and alternate verbs.
Can I learn and apply a variety of sentence types? Learning how to write and use new sentence types?
– E.G. 2A sentence / B.O.Y.S sentence.
– Noun, which…
Can I use further prefixes and suffixes and understand how to add them? Can I identify possible improvements in grammar and vocabulary including pronouns, direct speech and improved punctuation?
– SPAG activities including using an identifying word types/suffixes/prefixes.
– Poetry recitals. Understanding and using pronouns. Punctuating direct speech. Use of articles.
Can I recognise some di erent forms of poetry and can I prepare poems and play scripts to read aloud and to perform?
– Poetry – learning different types of poems, writing poems.
– Poetry performance
– Calligrams/ explore onomatopoeia/ figurative language.
Big Write topics:
– Best day ever
– Book review
– Diary as cat or dog
– Fantasy world adventure.
Can I add and subtract numbers using formal columnar methods of addition and subtraction?
– Number: Adding and subtracting using effective strategies.
– Learn how to use the expanded column method.
Can I measure the perimeter of simple and compound 2-D shapes?
– Measurement: Finding the area and perimeter of compound shapes.
Can I calculate mathema cal statements for multiplication and division using the multiplication tables that I know?
– Times table work. (Reinforcing and extending) related division.
– Factors/ quick recall.
Can I tell the time from an analogue clock, including using Roman numerals?
Telling the time – roman numerals / time to the nearest 5 minutes and nearest minute.
Can I interpret and present data using bar charts, pictograms and tables?
Statistics – tallies / pictograms / bar charts/ Venn diagrams.
Can I compare and group together different kinds of rocks on the basis of their appearance and physical properties?
- Working Scientifically to classify and present information.
- Set up my own simple tests and explain what I have found.
Can I describe in simple terms how fossils are formed when things that have lived are trapped within rock?
- Recognise that soils are made from rocks and organic matter.
- I can ask my own questions and use different ways to answer them.
Develop knowledge and understanding of British history.
- Examine and compare artefacts.
- Stone Age to Iron Age.
- What caused the changes in life in Britain?
- Create historically valid questions about similarities and differences.
Paul Klee – What would happen if you took a line for a walk?
- Church / Gurudwara/ Mosque / Synagogue / Mandir / Temple
- What do these words mean?
- How would you behave in these places of worship?
Developing mind mapping on inspiration.
- Cross curricular links to English and Science topics.
- How can you change the layout and font?
Dance – choreography – perform and evaluate.
- Gymnastics skills, balancing and turns.
- Why is balancing on one foot harder than on two feet?
- Can your partner complete the same task?
Modern Foreign Languages
In Spanish this term children will be revising numbers, colours and greetings.
- Children will also be learning the members of the family.
Music & Philosophy
- Using vocabulary of music and practising: dynamics
- Can I use vocabulary, such as: piano, forte ?
Play it Again
- Develop ability to create simple rhythmic patterns
- Can I perform a simple rhythm from memory?
- Can I perform a rhythm from simple nota on?
- ‘Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff’ with focus on resilience.
Living in the Wider World
- Fundraising and Local Charities
- Which Charity to support?
- Was everyone happy with the choice?
- Was this a fair way of deciding?
- Which British Value are we using?
- To make consumer choices and explain their decisions.
- To understand the link between being paid to do a job and having money to spend.
- Why is the parent/carer handing some money to the child?
- Do they think it is pocket money, a present, or in exchange for doing some jobs around the house?
We will not be studying D.T. for the first half of term.
We will not be studying geography for the first half of term