Year 4 Spring 1
Meet The Teacher
Learning Values: Respectful and Responsible, creative and Independent
S.M.S.C: Explore beliefs and experience; respect faiths, feelings and values; enjoy learning about oneself, others and the surrounding world.
English & Big Write
We will build a repertoire of sentence types to enrich writing e.g.
– Ad same Ad (e.g. Bertie was always happy, happy because he liked school)
– 3_ed (3 adjective that end in ed to describe a noun)
– 2 pair (2 pairs of related adjectives ; each pair followed by a comma and separated by and)
– Emotion, (comma) followed by a comma and sepa- rated by and)
– How can I choose the most appropriate sentence type for a section of writing?
We will begin work on The Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpugo:
– Exploring the characters thoughts and feeling
– Deconstruction of text
– Book Review
– How can I replicate Michael Morpurgo’s style of writing?
Big Write topics:
– Diary writing
– Persuasive letter
– Mental addition and subtraction, column addition and subtraction and real life problems. Eg Money. – Multiplication – formal written method
– Converting time; Using 12 hr clock; Using 24 hr clock
– Negative numbers
– Acute and obtuse angles – Fractions and number line
– Hundredths and tenths
– Kilometres and metres and DIY measurements
– What is the most efficient way to work out a problem?
– What do am and pm mean?
– Why do we use them?
– Why are negatives numbers useful in everyday life?
- Description of the process of digestion and parts of the digestive system.
- Experiment – replicating the digestive system.
- Trip to the science museum for a digestion workshop.
Why do our intestines have to be so long?
- Why is the process of absorption so important?
- What happens when things go wrong?
- How do teeth play an important part in the digestion process?
History / Geography
Settlement and land use:
- Why and where people settled
- Then and now—different time periods and change
- Land use patterns and understanding how it’s changed over time
Why did people choose to settle in certain places?
- How might this impact the landscape and physical features?
- Colonisation and settlements is Australia
- How was it discovered?
- What impact did this have on communities?
- Values and commitments Shabbat
- What does it mean for Jewish people?
- What do they do?
- Links to other religious/ non religious traditions.
Beliefs and traditions
- Kosher food, prayer book, mezuzah.
- Links to other religions and what they do at home/everyday.
- What do Jewish people do everyday to honour their faith / beliefs?
- What similarities are there to other religions?
Painting with sound.
– Create, perform and analyse expressive compositions a extend sound vocabulary.
– Create/perform simple compositions that combine rhythm and melody as well as explore abstract uses of sound.
– Can I identify the mood of a composition?
We are meteorologist presenting the weather. Find out ways of measuring the weather
- Look at weather data
- Predicting weather
- Presenting weather
How is the weather predicted?
- How accurate is the data?
Play Like Share
- Can I recognise what can be trusted on line?
- How can we keep safe on the internet at home and at school?
- Why is learning how to create codes important?
- Children will be exploring a range of activities and games which will be focusing on the importance of teamwork.
- How can I work well in a team and support others?
- Activities to improve coordination, balance and strength.
- How do we improve our core strength ?
Setting goals – health and wellbeing, recognising worth as individuals by identifying positive things about ourselves.
- How does this relate to our British values and Learning Values?
- Food gives us energy
- What are our rights and responsibilities?
- What makes a healthy person?
- Importance of nutrients
- How do different foods give us different amounts of energy?
- What important nutrients do we need?
Aboriginal Art – What symbols do they use to tell stories and why?
- What is Dreamtime?
- Plan and paint a Hockney landscape. Learn about who Hockney is and how he became so popular.
- What type of landscapes does he paint?
- What are key facts about his life?
- What style is his art?
- Identify members of the family and ask and answer questions about them.
- Children will also be learning to use numbers and colours confidently in Spanish.
No Design Technology this half term