Year 5 - Autumn 1
Year 5 Music
Meet The Parents
Learning Values: Collaborative Learning, Independent and Engaged
S.M.S.C: How can you make our new classroom harmonious?
(Ongoing work with Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar) Children have been introduced to the formalities of subordinate and main clauses, and will continue to practise these skills in their writing.
- Children will be using ‘The Street Child as the focus for English. Children will be looking closely at the Jarvis family and their historical context, learning to empathise with their circumstances.
- How would you feel if you had to work in a dangerous environment and not come to school?
- Would you rather be a rich or poor Victorian?
- Has there ever been a time when you have been separated from your family? How did you feel?
- Children will experience a Victorian day focusing on life in a workhouse, school and manor house.
Big Write Topics
- Re write Chapter two from the perspective of a chosen character in a first person narrative.
- Alternative start to life in Victorian times for the Jarvis family.
- Animation inspired writing task.
Can I find the value of each digit in a six digit number?
- Number & Place Value
Can I use mental strategies to add and subtract?
- We will be focusing on mental strategies to ensure a secure foundation for written methods later on in the term.
Can I identify properties of 3D shapes?
- We will be focusing on right angles, vertices and faces.
Can I use mental strategies to multiply and divide?
- Focus on mental strategies ton ensure a secure foundation for written methods later on in the term.
What are equivalent fractions?
- Finding fractions of shapes and numbers. Fraction sequences and equivalent fractions.
How can we translate shapes on a grid?
- Moving shapes on a coordinate grid.
- What is in our solar system?
- Why and how do the Earth and Moon move?
- How do we get days / years / seasons?
- What are the phases of the Moon?
- Why is the Victorian era so important for invention and engineering?
- What was life like for children?
Art / DT
- What will my dragon look like?
- Where is the light source?
- Which colours contrast?
- Exploring accounts of crea on from di erent cultural traditions.
- How did the world begin?
- Why do different faiths and cultures believe different things?
- Pupils to use J2e to prepare / post / comment on blogs.
- Topic – Famous Victorians
- The children will be developing their balance; one of the fundamental movement skills whilst developing social skills.
- How can we support each other?
- How can we create a harmonious classroom?
- School Council – how this links to democracy and the British voting
- Greetings, introducing oneself to others and asking others what their name is.
- How are you? Introduction to feelings, responses, I am happy/sad/ tired/grumpy etc.
- Introduction to numbers.
- Phonics – an introduction to phonics in Spanish.