Year 5 - Summer 1
Year 5 Music
Learning Values: Independent, Respectful and responsible
S.M.S.C: Isle of Wight preparation. How can I make my trip a positive experience for myself and others?
English & Big Write
English (NC2014) – Ongoing work with Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
- Using a range of sea poems and ‘The Convergence of the Twain’ by Thomas Hardy, children will explore the use of imagery and description. They will discuss how to use language to evoke feelings and produce impressions. Children will draft and write their own poem about the Titanic.
- How would our history be affected if the Titanic had sailed on a different day or from a different port?
- A selection of picture based books for children to explore alternative endings and introduction of additional charac- ters.
What appeals to your reader in the ending of a story?
Big Write topics
- Convergence of the Twain
- A narrative poem based on the ill fated voyage of the HMS Titanic.
- Picture Based Books
- An alternative ending to a well known story.
- Where would we find percentages used in our everyday lives?
- Uusing grid and expanded methods.
- Recognise the percent symbol Write percentages as a fraction
- Perimeter and area
- Exploring Roman Numerals through Place Value.
Properties of 2D shapes
- Sum of angles, diagonal lines.
Multiplication and Division using Money
Science: Life cycles
- The children will study the life cycles of mammals, amphibians, insects and birds, including some unusual examples like egg-laying mammals and marsupials.
- They will compare complete and incomplete metamorphosis and find out about well-known naturalists and animal behaviourists.
- How does the lifecycle of a mammal and an amphibian differ?
Art & Design Technology
Art: Coastal landscapes
- The children will study the work of various artists such as Robert Kelsey.
- They will have the opportunity to draw, paint and sculpt coastlines across the UK.
- Design and technology will be covered during the second part of the Summer term.
- To explore harmony by performing/singing in 2 parts (or more). To incorporate ostinati and drones.
- Can I recognise concords and discords?
- Can I maintain a part against another when singing/performing?
- Can I compose a round using a triad or the pentatonic scale ( from Y4 Dragon Scales)?
Religion in Art
- This unit focuses on some of the ways in which music, art and drama are used to express aspects of faith.
- How is art used in religions?
- This term we will be looking at colours.
- We will also be learning the names for the different parts of the body and facial features.
- The children will then look at descriptions of people and begin learning how to describe themselves.
Computing: We are Architects
- Using Sketchup to design an art gallery.
- How is using a computer programme be er for design work than using a pencil and paper?
- What is the job of an architect?
Real PE scheme
- Can I negotiate and collaborate appropriately?
- The children will be developing their balance; one of the fundamental movement skills whilst developing social skills.
- Children will be looking at how feelings can be managed. This includes embarrassment, forgiveness, disappointment and low self esteem.
- Children will have the opportunity to develop strategies to overcome these issues and learn to support one another through times of need.
- How can issues be prevented both online and offline?
Coastlines: What is coastal erosion?
- How are our coastlines a ected by erosion?
- Year five will be looking at coastlines ahead of the residential trip to the Isle of Wight.
History will be covered during the second part of the Summer term.