Year 5 - Summer 2
Year 5 Music
Learning Values: Nurtured, Respectful and Responsible, Harmonious
S.M.S.C: Linked to Wonder - personal feelings, empathising with others and how our actions can affect others.
English & Big Write
Ongoing work with Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar.
- A study of the book ‘Wonder’ by RJ. Palacio. The children will read and analyse different chapters in the book with par cular focus on character emotion and how we can empathise with the di erent characters in the story. This will be in preparation for extended writing pieces.
- How might Auggie feel differently to other children on the first day of school?
- Is it ok to feel shocked when we see someone who is very different to ourselves?
Big Write topics:
- Diary Entry for Auggie or character from Wonder.
- Exploring feelings and reactions to others.
Multiplying fractions, Volume / Capacity, calculating percent- ages including weather and shopping scenarios. Statistics including graph and data handling.
Geometry: Distinguish between regular and irregular polygons based on reasoning about equal sides and angles. Use angle sum facts and other proper es to make deductions about missing angles and relate these to missing number problems. Use the term diagonal and make conjectures about the angles formed between sides, and between diagonals and parallel sides, and other proper es of quadrilaterals.
Number – Money: Solve problems involving mul plica on and division, including scaling by simple frac ons and problems involving simple rates. Use all four opera ons to solve problems involving measure (for example, money) using decimal nota on, including scaling.
- Why is it important to be able to calculate change given?
- How can we tell if a shape is regular or irregular?
Animals Including Humans
- Children will explore changes in animals including humans as they age.
- We will look at changes to the human body as we move from childhood into adulthood.
- How do our bodies change as we get older?
Microsoft Excel Link to Mathematics:
- Children will have the opportunity to collect data and display their findings in a graph/table using Microsoft Excel.
- Why is it important to display data in a visual representation?
What was it like to live in poor areas of London, and in Ealing c.1900?
- A local history study of the Brentham estate using maps and other resources.
Unit 17: Round About
- To explore harmony by performing/ singing in 2 parts (or more).
- To incorporate ostinati and drones.
- Can I recognise concords and discords?
- Can I maintain a part against another when singing/performing?
- Can I compose a round using a triad or the pentatonic scale ( from Y4 Dragon Scales)
- BBC Ten Pieces: Zadok the Priest
Who are special religious leaders?
- The children will look at special religious leaders star ng with Jesus and the idea that people of different faith traditions have different views about Jesus.
- This term we will be covering the topic ‘food’ in Spanish.
- Children will be learning how to say which foods they like and dislike.
- We will also be looking at telling the time in Spanish.
Art & Design Technology
DT: Food Technology
- Why is it important for us to be able to make a simple meal?
- I can follow a simple recipe to make a picnic for myself
Real P.E. – Unit 5: Health and Fitness
- Physical focus on static balance and coordination.
- Whole games include:
- Beanbag raid
- 2V2 Throw Squash.
- Why is it important for us to stay healthy and keep fit?
- What emotional and physical changes occur during puberty?
- To understand male and female puberty changes in more detail.
- What is the impact of puberty on the body?
- Why is physical hygiene important?
No Geography study this half term