North Ealing Primary School Orchestra
VOLUNTEERS: IF YOU ARE ABLE TO SUPPORT US IN REHEARSALS ON A REGULAR BASIS, PLEASE EMAIL N.MEHEW VIA ADMIN. TUNING-UP, ENCOURAGEMENT, GUIDANCE ON FINGERING/BOWING ETC ALL VERY HELPFUL! YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE CURRENT BBS CHECKS.
Our orchestra encourages pupils in Years 3-6 to explore together the many benefits of joint music making and is a living testimony to our learning values!
Music is arranged to suit players of all abilities and our instrumental music teachers encourage their pupils to join as soon as they have reached a basic level of musical understanding. Older pupils act as mentors to the younger as well as being stretched in their parts.
This year, we will be exploring music from films ‘Jurassic Park’, the classical period (Haydn Minuets), traditional songs ( ‘Drunken Sailor’) and popular songs as voted for by orchestra members!
IT IS EXPECTED THAT PUPILS ARRIVE WITH ALL MUSIC (FOLDER PROVIDED) REGULARLY AND THAT THEIR PART IS PRACTISED IN ADVANCE.
The orchestra performs regularly throughout the year and aims to showcase during school assemblies, at seasonal events and at our Spring Concert as well as holding open rehearsals each term to which parents are invited.
Current plans include an opportunity to work across Ealing with members of the London Philharmonic at a one-day workshop.
In the summer of 2019, orchestra members performed in St. John’s, Smith’s Square, with the Fulham Symphony Orchestra.
We take advantage of ANY opportunity to develop musical experience.
• to encourage a vibrant and active environment in which pupils can benefit from their hard work in learning an instrument and to promote confidence;
• to offer opportunities for pupils to take part in music making that, otherwise, they might miss out on;
• to work collaboratively with our dedicated instrumental teachers ( piano/ violin/ woodwind/ guitar) and encourage a positive attitude towards players of all abilities;
• to provide members with a broad canvas of musical styles and ideas;
• to show that music can be enjoyed at many levels and that ‘real’ music is alive and well in North Ealing Primary School!
• The orchestra meets on Wednesday mornings from 8:15 – 8:45 in the Music Room.
• Sectional rehearsals ( strings/ wind/ percussion) are built into this schedule.
• It is helpful for pupils to arrive FROM 8:05 (not before!).
• It is expected that pupils assist in setting up and putting away chairs/stands etc.